Watching Spencer Grow

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tears, Tricks and Trouble

Spencer is hitting his 6 and a 1/2 month mark. This is a time of transition in every way of the word. He is learning to hold his own cup, to crawl and( hopefully soon) to go back to sleep on his own! I have been counseled by my doctor , my sister, and the books, that it is now time to let Spencer just duke it out with his tears and fall asleep on his own. Joseph and I have had no problems with putting Spencer TO sleep, However, he wakes up after falling asleep for only 30 min. and gives a big cry until mom and dad come to rescue him and sing him back to sleep. For naps, it was never a big deal, but at 3 am waking to his wailing was getting a bit old. So, today I decided not to rescue him during his nap, but to have him cry it out. I don't know what it is in my mind that makes me believe that the first of ANYTHING with a baby is supposed to go smoothly, I guess I just have high hopes:) So, I let him cry for about 30 minutes, I then heard his cry change tones, so I went to see what the problem was , I look over his crib and he had gotten his chunky turkey leg stuck in between the bars. I calmed him down and put him back in his crib, but he was already traumatized by the fact he thought he would never see his delicious leg again, then he just wouldn't settle down, so, after another half hour I did what I do best and gave in.:) I sang him to sleep and laid with him on the couch, until he fell asleep. As always, there will be more and more attempts, and hopefully soon a final success:) If any one has any suggestions on how to make a smooth transition on getting Spencer to fall back asleep on his own,(or how to stop him from getting his rolls stuck between the bars:) let me know!

The Trouble Maker
Here is Spencer waking up from his comfortable nap on the couch (hopefully for the last time.) Since he rolls over now, I have to put pillows down just in case.
First he grabs the unsuspecting toes...
and then he eats 'em all up, yum:)
This is mommy just having fun with the camera, he is so cute when he is thinking and daydreaming.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Funny Story. AMAZING PICTURES!!! Really they are beautiful pictures. Sorry no advice. Hang in there. Your a great mom you will figure it out.

Lissa said...

Those are cute pics. He is a butterball! We used to tell parents that had a hard time with their kids sleeping habits that a lot of it is about them learning to self calm. So teach him how to self calm in other areas as well, like when he is playing and gets upset or gets hurt. Not that you can't comfort him, but once he realizes he isn't that hurt that he was probably scared more than anything he learns to self calm. There is a great book called "Healthy Sleeping Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth that we recommend as well. You can get it on Amazon for pretty cheap. Check it out! Love you, you're a great Mom, you'll get this stuff no prob.

The Dutsons said...

Thanks for the comments! Shawna is actually reading that book to me on the phone! I need to go buy it!

Audra Laney said...

What about a breathable bumper? So far, we love ours!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2529738

Angela Brown said...

I agree with the bumber thing, he's old enough now it shouldn't be a problem anyway. As for the going to sleep on his own-- I totally feel you. We had the hardest time. One thing you can do is start a routine. Every night do the same thing, it could be a warm bath, snack, cuddle time and singing him to sleep or whatever you want. Keep it consistent so he knows bed time is coming and he'll get used to the idea and hopefully start going to sleep easier. I think you are doing fine on the crying it out deal, that's rough and I hated doing it. If it's too tough try the slowly getting longer betweeen rescues insted of 30 minutes from the get go. Maybe wait five minutes the first time, go in and calm him the next time wait 7 etc. until you get to 30. He'll start getting used to you not coming right away... Just some ideas. GOOD LUCK!

Audra Laney said...

Can I add that I think it's so cute that you still have the same email address since we were BFFs in middle school? I have mine as well, but it's not my primary one. I love it!

*I've got sunshine, on a cloudy day!*

Kelli said...

Alison, your baby is adorable! How's everything going with you?

US