Watching Spencer Grow

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mom's to vote!

I felt really inspired by an article that I read today in the Parent magazine. It was about a mother, Shari MacDonald Strong, who had tasted a little bit of all parties on the ticket, she decided above all of them she was a mother. She says obviously she usually has an identity with a particular party, but said she'll "..back up in politician, any bill or measure that I believe to be in the best interest of children." There isn't just the Primaries we are able to vote at, which is all determined by our electoral college anyhow... that's another issue I'll tackle later:) but, we have even more important times to vote, for our local leaders, and even bills, which affects what happens right in our very community in which our children will grow up in. I'll share of few quotes which I thought were really powerful from Shari's excerpt,
"A few years ago I saw a television documentary about female leaders in developing countries. One woman from a war-torn nation said something to the effect of:' If woman were the ones who came to the table to negotiate peace, none of us would leave until an agreement had been reached because we know that women and children are the ones who will suffer the consequences if we don't.' In the 1960's, Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream. Later, John Lennon had a dream. We all have dreams, and here is mine; that one day, all mothers will use their political power and voice not in the way that the media and our husbands, pastors, fathers, and political leaders direct us to, but rather as we're led by our personal wisdom, our deepest intuition, our maternal instinct."
I love how she empowers motherhood! She goes on to say, " I picture a day when the driving force behind politics in my country is not power or money, but maternal love." I really hope that as nurturers we don't take for granted the power that we have. In our homes, AND in our communities. I encourage everyone to really study the candidates, in this election and our local elections, and vote for those who support mothers and families.

No comments:

US